Friday, January 14, 2011

Flip-Flop Friday, 'The Mower Scam'


I noticed in a lot of other blogs that it is fairly common to take a day of the week, think of some catchy name for it and post some common theme on that day each week. Not to be outdone (not really, I could care less, but I think the idea of it is pretty cool), I have created Flip-Flop Fridays where I will post something that I find 'irksome' in this world.

Today's flip-flop has to do with my marriage. Don't get me wrong, I'm a happily married man, but there are things about marriage that are total scams. One of the greatest of these scams is the 'Mower Scam'. I'm a pretty hard working individual, I enjoy physical labor and find it rewarding. I find mowing the lawn to provide the right amount of physical challenge and also an opportunity to think amid the sounds of the engine and whatever toy that's been left out on the lawn by my kids getting chopped to bits.

When we moved into our current home, we took on a larger lawn with a challenging hill in the back yard. A major 'physical' challenge if you will. It doesn't help that I'm cheap, so our mower was your basic push mower (motor, four wheels, blade, no self propelled). And no, I'm not so cheap that I have the manual mower that takes twenty passes to just mow one area of grass all the way!


Cheap, but not this Cheap

After mowing the lawn the first few times, my wife seeing that it was a lot of work from inside the air conditioned house, says to me, "If you buy a self propelled mower, I will help to mow the lawn."

Inside, foolishly, I was jumping for joy thinking this was a great idea. The mower that we had was getting old anyway, so this would be a good time to buy a new one. I didn't go crazy with the cost, but dropped a pretty penny on a new self propelled mower. I brought that baby home, put her together and couldn't wait for the extra time I would have to do other things in the yard and around the house.

To this day, I think that I can count on one hand the number of times that my wife has helped mow the yard! And there you have it, 'The Mower Scam'. Just another reason for me to quietly mumble to myself, "Stupid stupid man!"

No comments:

Post a Comment